Tuesday, July 23, 2013

An Epiphany

Went to the Y yesterday.  Met with the "wellness coach".  Let's just say, I think I could do that job just as well, maybe better.  I know, I know.  Wouldn't have needed to meet with her if I had it all together.  Right??  

Disclaimer:  I am in no way putting down the wellness coach.  She is a super nice lady.  She is smart.  She's in fantastic shape.  But.....

That's an hour of my life I will never get back.  Or that I could have spent working out.  Or that I could have swam with the kids.  Really.  

Any advice I take away from my "coach" (since they can't actually give you specifics (although they present the program as that) because you have to pay the personal trainer to do that) visit?  Trying hard to rack my brain here.

I know.  I sound so sarcastic.  But seriously.  Just because I'm still in the getting serious about my health stage, it doesn't mean that I know nothing about nutrition and exercise.  In fact, the workout "suggestions" (again can't give you any kind of actual plan, just give SUPER vague ideas) were actually not good suggestions.  I asked questions.  Well, to bad for me, at that point visit over.  Guess you don't question the coach.

And just to set the record straight, people who have weight issues, whether too much or too little weight, are not lazy, uneducated consumers.  I can name the calories, fat, blah, blah, blah in the majority of the food I put in my pie hole.  Pie, coconut cream, my fav.  Wait, I digress.....Yes, i have read just about every book on diets, on weight loss, on living a healthy life.  Blah, blah, blah.  I've got the apps.  I subscribe to the Facebook pages.  Really.  The knowledge is ALL there.  And probably way more than I will EVER need.  So why still a wanna be?

It's a heart condition.  Not physical.  Emotional.  I'm gettin' it figured out.  So hard to change habits and behaviors that have been there for so long.  Slight oxymoron as I do behavior therapy on a daily basis all day long with my clients.  So easy to teach others but so hard to put it into practice in my own life sometimes.  But, I'm ready.  There is this crazy, good feeling I have when I get done working out and I have pushed.  Not just exercised.  Pushed to the max, game face on, make the girl on the elliptical next to you think hey, if the big girl can do it, so can I and she ends up looking like she is trying to race you somewhere.  That's what I'm talking about.  Push.

I think I'm going to be my own wellness coach.  Pretty sure I can do the job, maybe do it better.





No comments:

Post a Comment