Saturday, June 29, 2013

"Me" Train

So I posted on Facebook that I was blogging daily.  Didn't blog yesterday.  Long week.  Three kids with summer colds. My newest fascinating series season three came in at the library.  I think that's it.  Agenda today?  Laundry.  General house cleaning.  My new read Slummy Mummy (good read by the way).  Yoga.  Dinner.  I think that's it.

As a mom I often put off the things that I enjoy to contribute to the greater good of our family.  Some days it dawns on me that greater good is important but if I don't take care of myself, mentally and physically, I can't contribute much.  Other times, doesn't matter.  Greater good wins out.  

Where does this come from?  The idea that, as moms, we can't enjoy things just for ourselves.  Many sects in our society still push this archaic idea.  It has plagued me.  Made me feel guilty.  Caused me to give up things.  I'm over it.  

Our family doesn't suffer because I work.  I know, I know.  Work.  How is that for yourself?  Throw in the fact I LOVE my job.  It gives me a huge sense of personal satisfaction.  It's not just a money gig.  Our kids aren't losing out if I say no one in the computer room because I'm getting my yoga on for the next half hour.  To the point I don't really care if laundry sits while I read or blog to relax for a bit.  

I'm over it.  Guilt be gone.  Call me selfish.  I'm catching the  "me" train.  At least more often than I used to.  I think I'll check out that family membership to the Y.  Greater good.  "Me" time.  What could be better?  Shopping in New York City (I can dream right??).

No comments:

Post a Comment